Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170626
Total topics 16507
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Fishing rules

Salt water chat here. (please post reports in reports section)

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Fishing rules

Postby The Decky » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 am

A warning to everyone, I am about to mount my soap box.

I just spent an awesome weekend in one of the most amazing parts of Tasmania. Eaglehawk neck. Amazing scenery. Apart from the hardship endured I think the convicts won the lottery.

Now for my rant. On Saturday evening I went to a jetty to try and find a squid. When I arrived I had been beaten to the punch by 10-15 "new Australians" no problem there, plenty of room for everyone. As I usually do, I went right along the jetty to see what people had been catching.

They had been doing quite well. I saw 20ish fish, mostly Mullet, in bags and buckets. NONE of which would have made 20cm let alone the 25cm size limit. I spoke with 1 fisher and told them they are a bit small only to be told "no,no, they are good" as he rubbed his belly!

Where are OUR fisheries inspectors?

I would be quite sure this is an every night occurrence that these people go and catch fish for the next day. How hard would it be for an inspector to drive around if an evening? Or do they only work 9-5?
The Decky
Apprentice Angler

Re: Fishing rules

Postby Bream'n'Trout » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 am

Well! A mate and I came across the exact same thing. Fishing the causeway at midway point and 6-10 'new australians' were there, 30 odd fish (flathead, salmon and couta) and all the flathead i seen were in the 15 -25 range. I said they look a bit under, 'no no theyre fine, ruled them already'...

2 days later same spot, inspectors came checking everything. Got a couple people for undersize.

Unfortunately it seems a bit too easy to do for a lot of people!
Bream'n'Trout
Apprentice Angler

Postby norice » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:57 am

The issue arises on a social level, no matter how many fisheries inspectors you send out to regulate, or instill a fear of being caught in people, there will still be people who go out with the mentality that it's okay to keep huge amounts of, and undersize fish. Mechanism to solve it does not exist in my eyes, you either understand why there is rules and regulations on size and limits or you're completely ignorant to the facts.
Just my thoughts on it, cheers
norice

Postby Jarvo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 am

I wouldn't hesitate in advising the Officer on the end of the Fishwatch phone number (0427 655 557), they may not be able to make it to the area at the time, but it will certainly give them further info to make a case to get there hopefully for the next time someone rings or to incorporate that area into their patrol routine?
Jarvo
Apprentice Angler

Postby eddystone » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Fishwatch http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/sea-fishing-aq ... al-fishing

We all have a responsibility to report anything that is against the law. I pulled a net from a river one time after getting the ok from fish watch....

Pat
LIKE the Sports Fish TasmaniaFacebook page to recieve up to date information from site sponsors and the IFS
eddystone

Postby B.marriott » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:54 pm

It's good to see lately the fisheries making some charges, make em tougher and get the point across.
Last edited by B.marriott on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.marriott
Apprentice Angler

Postby Jarvo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:53 am

Cut backs may have a bit to do with it I suspect. They do rely heavily on the average fisher reporting suspicious activity and that is why any additional information you can supply (car rego, location, date, time etc) is all important.

As mentioned, little sympathy for those doing the wrong thing especially when you have tried to tell them in a polite way that the fish they have look undersize and they basically ignore you.
Jarvo
Apprentice Angler

Postby kanasai » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Just report to the authorities and if everyone do our part soon enough they will feel the pinch
kanasai

Postby jamesd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Check out the IFS and Sea Fisheries websites. There has been a few convictions posted on both websites
jamesd
Apprentice Angler

Postby vertigrator » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Bream'n'Trout wrote:2 days later same spot, inspectors came checking everything. Got a couple people for undersize.

Good to hear the happy ending to that story. TuHm
One two three four five, once I caught a fish alive
Six seven eight nine ten, then I let him go again ><((((º>
vertigrator
Experienced Angler

Postby Dicky » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 pm

We got pulled up by the Marine police a couple of weeks ago and checked for gear,fish etc.I'd heard from a reliable source that there were a lot of undersize,and over the bag limit,KGW being taken from Ansons during the summer months so I told them.They were interested but said there was a staffing issue in the NE.Hopefully they made a mental note of it and it may be policed a bit this year.
Cheers
Dicky
Expert Angler

Postby skrout » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I was down the margate boat ramp start of the year and same thing. Half a dozen very undersized flatties. I told them and they said no no no there all good. I told them and argued with them while they kept fishing. I phoned the fishwatch number and got no answer. A couple of minutes later i got a message from them saying they are busy at the moment can they ring back in an hour. I texted back and said yes but they will probably be gone. Sure enough they left 10 mins after. I got there rego number and sent it through. Did not hear another word from the number i phoned. No text or anything. Makes you wonder if you should even bother phoning and just snap there rods and throw there fish back in dead or not. They will soon get the point.
Flick your stick and catch some fish
skrout
Apprentice Angler

Return to Salt Water Scene