Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170635
Total topics 16509
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Land based king fish

Salt water chat here. (please post reports in reports section)

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Land based king fish

Postby chippa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Im interested in spinning for some land based yellowtail kingfish. Have never fished for these before and just after some general info/tips.. What time of year is best and some good locations to try. Will travel anywhere in TAS.. any reports on people catching them from land. thinking maybe low head point or st hellens point might be a good place to start?
chippa

Re: Land based king fish

Postby eddystone » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:04 pm

We spotted some not far from the binalong boat ramp on disk chasing squid Aus day weekend. Suspect we lost on and landed on in skeleton... would be worth a look!
LIKE the Sports Fish TasmaniaFacebook page to recieve up to date information from site sponsors and the IFS
eddystone

Postby eddystone » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:05 pm

I should say they were only small... but kingfish are kingfish!
LIKE the Sports Fish TasmaniaFacebook page to recieve up to date information from site sponsors and the IFS
eddystone

Postby tastrophy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:20 pm

I have heard of some being caught and lost in Nth West Bay area in the south.

I would try Binalong Bay and St Helens Point if in the area.

I just checked my journal of the dates and back in May 28 2001 I was spooled by a massive Kingfish at Binalong Bay,Humbug Point.I was spinning a red salty tassie devil deep in the canal..I thought i had snagged up on the bottom and tried to break the line a few times and had no indication it was a fish..It wouldn't budge off the bottom .I then realized i was on after seeing the fish sitting on the surface 20m out in front of me after winding up slack line.Just after it took off out to open water with the lure and all my line.It took me a while to work out what it was and it couldn't of been anything else but a big kingfish .This was no rat either and it was over a metre and easily over 20lb possibly close to if not over 30lb.I was only using a small 3kg trout combo rod and reel and had no hope at all of stopping it.I still see it sitting out there like a big submarine looking at me through it's periscope too .I went back a couple of times trying the same tactic but didn't get a sniff but that was years ago..
troutfish tasmania
tastrophy
Trout Tickler

Postby The Decky » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 pm

I know not many have been caught there this year but in George's bay at St Helens. Mate caught 2 metre plus' 2 years ago in the bay and while he was in a boat you could just as easily wade to where he caught them.
I am heading out with him tomorrow on a kingy hunt....so here's hoping.
The Decky
Apprentice Angler

Postby chippa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 pm

awesome, im aware its a long shot but will be fun to chase them. what time of year seems to be suited to them? late summer?
chippa

Postby The Decky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Toured the bay today. Plenty of birds working schools of salmon. Tried drifting plastics through the schools in hope a kingy might be loitering below but the salmon had other ideas.
End result, a great hour of fun on light gear with 20 salmon to 2kgs. We had 3 casts without hook up between us! But no Kings.
We then spent hour odd trying for a whiting. Nailed 8 with only 1 going size, a 40cm pb for me. :D
The Decky
Apprentice Angler

Return to Salt Water Scene