Main Menu

Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170509
Total topics 16482
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Which fishing facebook pages are people using?

Anything relating to fishing

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Which fishing facebook pages are people using?

Postby Ramsheed » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:28 pm

With this and pretty much all the other fishing forums of which I am a member, dying or close to death - I am wondering what Facebook pages people are using to get their fishing fix?
Most the ones I have seen are crap, but there must be something else out there worthwhile looking at?
Give me your suggestions people! Are there any Tassie ones?
Ramsheed
Expert Angler

Re: Which fishing facebook pages are people using?

Postby telr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:41 pm

:-k Ramsheed, I think you'll find all facebook fishing pages are the same, full of "Look at me, I'm the greatest", or knockers (not female ones) and general abusers. Nobody likes sharing info, if you do you have a herd of leeches descend on a spot, no elbow room, or consideration. Keep supporting your forum(s), anything helps, just days on end without posts disheartens even the keenest administrators, causes them to shut down. Don't blame the pages, make the forums stronger! Only my opinion, and you know what opinions are like - A**eholes, everybody's got one!
telr
Apprentice Angler

Postby Lucky » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Time to change the title, Gunsmoke 600hp tinny.
Lucky
Mullet Hunter

Postby vertigrator » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:41 pm

I agree with telr. I'm not really getting anything much out of the Facebook fishing groups I'm a member of, since mostly they are just pics and a small trip report without much in the way of info. Not like the rich source of info here on things such as techniques and tackle. So I reckon it's worth trying to keep this site going.
One two three four five, once I caught a fish alive
Six seven eight nine ten, then I let him go again ><((((º>
vertigrator
Experienced Angler

Postby eddystone » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Sft Facebook group was launched with the idea that you could quickly and easily add content on the go...

If you download the Facebook groups app you could post in a matter of seconds.

A resource is as good as the people that use it! Sft even at its peak relied on a relatively low number of users posting content consistently.

The vast majority have always been viewers rather than content providers!
LIKE the Sports Fish TasmaniaFacebook page to recieve up to date information from site sponsors and the IFS
eddystone

Postby Gunsmoke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 am

The lack of contributing by users of this site will eventually lead to its demise. Which is real shame. Loads of potential, well laid out but very thin on content.

Several times ive gone to delete a thread referred to by Lucky. The lack of respondents gets disheartening to say the least. Taking the time to apparently "post to yourself"...... making the effort to take and upload photos, write content, it aint no fun in isolation. In fact you start to feel like a dick.

So you naturally lose interest and stop contributing.

I applaud the mods for their efforts and wish readers would become contributors. Without it, these boards wither and die eventually. Theyre not self sustaining. Peoples adding content keeps them alive.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby vertigrator » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Well said Gunsmoke. Facebook is okay for some instant gratification of seeing a fish pic or two. But for in depth info it falls short. There's no way to search back posts on Facebook! Whereas here we can search on a location or a technique and see a lot of info. Sure there's not so much current info, but a few years ago there was heaps of content getting put up here so I still find it useful when I'm trying something new to come and do a search here first.
vertigrator
Experienced Angler

Postby telr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for your thread, Gunsmoke, it is the best story of the evolution of a boat (and now of vehicle) I have read anywhere. Your comments re contributors and readers are valid and even a thank you makes a great difference to a writer, as you said. The real disappointment is when one reads at the bottom of a page that (say) 2 members and 35 or 40 visitors are reading it. What keeps them from becoming members, I wonder. Keep in mind that lots of fishers read magazines without contributing, and many feel they have nothing to contribute to a thread, and have no original ideas or memorable catches to share. As an aged and infirm almost ex-fisherman, I felt, for a long while, I had little to offer to serious forums like this, and still feel, as a member, that my offerings are only of historical interest except in threads like this, where I have a vested interest (I like reading your posts, look forward to each chapter of your voyage)! I would implore you and the other members to not lose heart, visitors to join forums, and members to air their opinions where they have something to offer. Thanks again for your work, keep fighting the good fight..
telr
Apprentice Angler

Postby Ramsheed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Glad I am not the only one unimpressed with the Facebook pages.
Maybe I'll need to make some effort when the new season opens, to post some reports.
Telr, in relation to the 'visitors' reading, this site seems to log me out no matter what, so I'm always a 'visitor' unless I specifically log back in because I want to post something, maybe some of these others are the same?
Ramsheed
Expert Angler

Postby Paulus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Well said, telr. I'm sure it's not only us older anglers who can appreciate the value of a well-constructed report or explanation of a topic, and on the other hand aren't thrilled with the shallow nature of twitface. I don't use it at all - for anything! And, vertigrator: spot on about the ability to research and check back over older info - that is still relevant.

At the same time, I don't post fishing reports much on sft either - because I don't fish nearly as much as I used to, nor as much as I'd like. Contrary to popular expectations, being retired on the age pension DOESN'T give you more time for it: everything else just takes that much more time! I do, however, try to interact with / reply to other posts that catch my attention, and to which I feel I can add something of use.

For pete's sake, Gunsmoke, don't lose heart. Your thread is fascinating; I just can't contribute to it because you're operating in a sphere I can't dream of, in terms of vessel and vehicle etc. Doesn't mean I'm not interested, though. There are other contributors, too, whose reports and pictures I am in awe of. I hope it doesn't stop!
Paulus
Apprentice Angler

Postby vertigrator » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Ramsheed, I don't get logged out each time I leave the site. Maybe there's some setting on your browser that is not keeping the login cookie. If you click the 'keep me signed in' checkbox when logging in then it should keep you logged in for a long time. I'll come back to the site days later and still be logged in.
vertigrator
Experienced Angler

Postby telr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm

I just want to add a "well done" to all who have posted in this & other threads of late, more to read, think, &dream about than we've had in a lot of the open season.
telr
Apprentice Angler

Return to Fishing Chat