Our newest member Crumbs

Derwent bream classic April 2017

Post all salt water reports here

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Derwent bream classic April 2017

Postby eddystone » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi all,

Last weekend was the final round of the Tas Bream Classic series, we were lucky enough to finish in first place! Below is a brief rundown of how our weekend played out.

Leroy had spent 4 days on the water prefishing leading up to the event, while he guaranteed finding fish wouldn't be hard he was finding it difficult to locate the better fish needed to be at the pointy end of the field.

Prefish day pretty much yeilded similar results, plenty of fish but bugger all size... as in we were struggling to boat anything over 34 fork which just isn't going to get it done! By 3pm we had managed to put one kilo fish in the boat however this was a random fish caught deep... hardly a winning pattern. In fact we tried the spot twice over the weekend for not one single bite! By 330pm we had covered from well above bridgewater to below the Tasman... Given the afternoon turned the weather on rather than head in we just went fishing, we made an adjustment by switching to a deep cranka minnow and we soon put some better fish in the boat including a solid 1.2kg model. By far the longest prefish I have ever done.... Normally we like to be off the water well before 2pm as you rarely find anything of benefit outside normal tournament hours.

Day one started and the wind had set in earlier than expected, fair to say the drive up river wasn't all that enjoyable! As predicted by Leroy we had our bag within 20mins of our first cast using heavy cranka crabs... :D The downside was it was around a 3kg bag. As the tide slowed we headed for a weed edge and put a couple of slightly better fish in our bag... although we still only had around 3.5kg. With the incoming tide we headed down stream and targetted an edge which had produced the day before casting deep cranka minnows. I boated a 1kg fish and soon after leroy put another one in the boat at 1.2kg. We now had around 4.7kg in the boat... Given the strong wind we figured day one could prove tough for many, we targetted a couple of spots in the middle of the river for very little love. As midday hit we opted to head to POW in the hope of boating more upgrades with the rising tide.

Fishing in the back of a bay we boated a couple of small fish followed by a 200g upgrade... 8) Then as 1pm passed I came up tight on a solid fish, in choked the shallow cranka minnow on the pause... After several runs and a couple of near misses with the net we boated our last upgrade of the day, a 1.7kg cracker! Weighing in 5.7kg for day 1 we were pleasntly surprised to hold a health 400g lead... With 2 x sub kilo fish in the bag we thought we had left the door open!

Big Bream

Day two and we were optimistic that a bag would be easy to come by but not so sure the bigger fish would play the game in the changing conditions, the calmer weather also opened up options for more water to be covered by all of the teams making it wide open. Like day one we headed upstream to bridgewater a bag out within minutes... we probably had 20 fish by 8am, surprisingly the quaility was better than the previous day, leaving the bridge at 830 we had 4.5kg in the bin. We scratched around catching plenty of fish on minnows with only 1 kilo fish hitting the deck over the next couple of hours, however as the tide pushed the fish turned on... The rest of the day saw fish hitting the deck consistent, while Leroy boated a 1.4kg on a cranka crab the rest fell to the trust old deep cranka minnow. Weighing in just over 6kg for the day we had done enough to score the win.

Day 2 upgrade... if only they were always like this...

This one almost stayed in the boat purely based on its looks :lol: ... At just over a kilo it wasn't big enough to make the cut, leroy wanted a photo before we put it back... so dark!

Well done to Harri and the crew for running the series, i'm sure next year will be bigger and better.

Pat
LIKE the Sports Fish TasmaniaFacebook page to recieve up to date information from site sponsors and the IFS
eddystone

Re: Derwent bream classic April 2017

Postby Steersy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Great read and fantastic event win... very well played and well deserved!

Proud to hear that our CRANKA products could help you secure another win!

Love your work lads!

Cheers
Steersy
CRANKA
Get Busy Breamin...or...Get Busy Dying!
Steersy
Gucci Guru

Postby eddystone » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks mate,

Didn't catch a bream on a lure all weekend that wasn't a cranka, your products speak for themselves... they are amazingly good!

Pat
LIKE the Sports Fish TasmaniaFacebook page to recieve up to date information from site sponsors and the IFS
eddystone

Postby Ljbeer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 pm

I havn’t fished comps in a few years due to various commitments. However the boat has been upgraded and I had the weekend free from work, which is a near miracle. Put up a FB post looking for a partner for the Derwent round of the Bream Comp, a long bus trip and a bit of organising. A bloke, Jarvis Wall, showed up on my doorstep having never fished the Derwent before.
I pre fished solo and managed to find good fish numbers but only two solid fish. I left the shores alone pretty quick smart hoping to preserve them for the weekend. May be too cautious but it’s the one percenters right?
Jarvis arrived keen as mustard. We developed a game plan and got rigged and ready for the weekend. Covering all bases having a rod with a vibe, a deep minnow, a shallow minnow and a mid. The talk was about vibing jetties but as that is not my favoured fishing I hoped if we plugged away the minnows would cover us.
Saturday
With wild wind forecast becoming stronger throughout the day we knew we had to get fish early. The only problem was the dead low tide.
I had four spots that I wanted to hit in the lower reaches of the Derwent. They don’t provide big fish numbers but the fish you find are usually nice. With the smaller sizes I had been getting up river on pre-fish, and the difference in water clarity between the upper and lower reaches, I hoped this gamble would pay off. The first shore was on the money with Jarvis dropping a fish and I pulled a reasonable bag starter. The fish came on an Atomic Hardz Shiner 45SP in colour: Silver Wolf. The next shore saw another dropped fish but again another one fell to the Shiner. This built the confidence and the nerves of not competing in a few years began to fade.
The other two spots were too windy to fish. Needing to fill the bag we starting chucking vibes on a yacht club Break wall. Pulling 3 fish in 5 minutes. They weren’t big but they filled the bag. It is a nice feeling having a bag by 8.30am in a comp.
Jarvis got an enquiry on the vibe, and another twitch, bang, zzzzzzzzzzz. Snap. Dusted. Welcome to the Derwent mate.
A break in the wind occurred and we jumped onto the shore we wanted to target managing our first upgrade at 9.15am a 40ttf replacing a 25 to tip. This got the spirits up.
The rest of the day was spent plugging away in the lower reaches between Montagu, Geilston, Lindisfarne and the domain shoreline with my fish falling to Atomic Hardz Shiner SP and the Atomic Hardz Jerk Minnow 65S both Silver Wolf colour. No prize for guessing my favourite Derwent colour. Ended up with a reasonable bag, not what we hoped, but with the weather, we were happy. Other teams felt the weather as well and 4.74kg luckily saw us sitting in 5th after day 1, with not much ground between teams.
Went home and crashed hard. Unbelievable how much fishing in the wind and swell knocks you for six.
Sunday
The weather looking promising we stuck to the game plan and fished the four shores I had picked out from the beginning. Rotating through them, resting them and hitting them again. Repeated until time was up. Each shore provided a fish, and the lower bays were holding decent schools of bream. We managed to boat a lot of fish and started to find upgrades with three decent ones to build a bag around. Fish Sunday were falling to the Zipbait Rigge 70S -039R (silver with a black top and orange belly). until Jarvis lost it to the cruel rocky shores. On came an Orbit Slider65SP in a green ayu type colour, and it was on fire. So much so I tied one on to try and join in on the fun.
The formula we cracked was casting as close as possible to the shore. Quick twitch and rip and bang… game on. They were cruising hard on shore. I was surprised by the fish holding on shallower patches even on dead low tide, and the aggressive way they hit the lures.
With a bag weighing in at 5.62kg we finished the comp with a total bag weight of 10.36kg. This placed us third for the event. Happy days!
Well done to all teams finding fish on the Saturday as it was not pleasant. Good to be back on the scene and forgot how friendly and fun the environment is. Crazy cool how different people can fish so many different ways and fill their bags. I’m not good at flicking Cranka Crabs or vibes but I love hard bodies. Got lucky I was able to fish my methods, and it was cool picking a few up on a vibe on a break wall. Definitely out of my comfort zone but need to adapt and have an array of skills and techniques to suit different conditions.
Loved the pressure and ups and downs that came with the day. Having to fish through weather I probably wouldn’t have bothered launching in if I had the choice! The ecstasy of nailing a big bream, and hoping the hooks stuck long enough to net. Meeting a new mate that loves fishing and the lifestyle just as much was an added bonus.
Looking forward to the trout series and hopefully finding some consistency.
Last edited by Ljbeer on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ljbeer
Apprentice Angler

Postby eddystone » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Nice work lads,

A very solid result in challenging conditions...!
eddystone

Postby TassieDevil » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Top effort both teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I USED TO GO FISHING ONCE...........
TassieDevil
Experienced Angler

Postby Drongo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:14 am

Hey guys, is that a catch and release comp? If so, how do you keep them alive for "weigh-in"?

Some great fish there.
Drongo

Postby rexyviney » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Drongo wrote:Hey guys, is that a catch and release comp? If so, how do you keep them alive for "weigh-in"?

Some great fish there.

I'll answer mate.
I haven't done the classics for a few years now but yep the bream comps are cnr and most boats have live wells fitted. We fished out of a small boat and used a big esky and an aerator. We also had to 'change' the water every hour or so. Was touch and go a few days, especially if the water was warm. Mind you, the boats with live wells struggled one particular day on the Swan as I recall.

We weighed in at 12.30pm that day so the fish could swim away.
The party never ends...the game begins again...The party never ends...the game begins again...The party...
rexyviney
Pro Angler

Return to Salt Water Reports