Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Is winter fishing best?

Post all salt water reports here

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Is winter fishing best?

Postby Drongo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 am

This woman says winter saltwater fishing is best in Tasmania ... http://www.news.com.au/national/tasmani ... 33e8b37faa

Not saying she is right or wrong, but am curious what people believe re winter fishing.
Drongo

Re: Is winter fishing best?

Postby Paulus » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm

I totally agree with her. Went out this morning to NW Bay; hit the water just on sun-up; no-one else at the ramp. Went a little way and took a couple of nice calamari, around 30cm hood, but they were a bit slow, so I toddled along to my flathead spot and caught around 30, with 16 keepers between 32-40cm. Cleaned the squid, ambled back to the ramp, back on the trailer by midday. Still not another soul about.

I suspect the fishing is better these months because there are nowhere near as many people competing for them!
Paulus
Apprentice Angler

Postby The Decky » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:24 pm

I totally agree that winter is the best fishing. I'm not sure if due to the colder water temps and less feed about fish become more opportunistic and take whatever comes past but most of our red letter days happen over the next couple of months.
The Decky
Apprentice Angler

Postby Sultan Peppersquid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Certainly some advantages in the winter:

- Crowds - there aren't. No wait at the ramp, plenty of parking, choice of campsites...
- Less fishing pressure at this time of year may mean fish more willing to bite / less spooky.
- Sunrise - can sleep in and still be on the water at dawn. You can also fish the dusk, and not be late for tea.
-Teabagging cricket scores of bream can be stupidly easy, and the bream can be the XOS variety if it all goes to plan.
- Weather. We get some sensational winter weather in Tassie, cool, clear, calm days. Get out and make the most of it.
Sultan Peppersquid
Pro Angler

Postby adelaideboy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Yeah I agree it seems fish are more opportunistic in Winter and less discerning and lack of fishing pressure would make some difference. Just bloody cold!
adelaideboy
Apprentice Angler

Return to Salt Water Reports