Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170631
Total topics 16507
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Spookest Dive....

Pics, reports and general diving discussion here.

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Postby onemorecast » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Hookah dive out of St Helens, we've got 2 divers and one on the boat to keep an eye on the hookah. I'm in the water first, trailing my long yellow airhose behind me.

I'd say 10 minutes of diving, around 9 metre depth, and I see a cray squeezed under a ledge. So, I sneak around the back and wedge myself under trying to grab the bugger.

Breath in.......breath out......NO BREATH IN :shock: :shock: . The hose was empty, I had no air. So, I'm paddling furiously to the surface, I can see the surface, my lungs are screaming, I'm thinking @$#@ I'm actually going to die here :? . I can't hold off, take one breath of water on the way up, close my eyes...paddle hard.....thank GOD I've made it!! BIG BIG breath in, lots of coughing....

The guy on the boat had been trying to untangle the hoses on the surface and mine had popped off the compressor :evil: . Rattled me for a while, until I realised I still had the cray in my hand!!! :D :D
onemorecast
Pro Angler

Postby col » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:45 pm

Nice stories fellas!!
Scary as all shite when ya see some think swimming thats bigger that you!
Onemorecast. I have had that happen to but i was a bit deeper. All the training i have had went out the window as i held my breathe and went for the surface like a rocket! Had a sore chest for a while and i was kicking my self for doing it! :x
Col
Why Not?
col
Expert Angler

Postby deacon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:10 am

haha this is more my own silly fult but here go's.

i do alot of freedive spearfishing here in Wa and last weekend me and a mate dived a new spot i had shot a nce blue groper ( its allowed in Wa) arond 8kgs in just over 12ms it dived under a ledge so i droped my gun and swam for the top but stoped dead after about 2 my leg had got tangled in my float line.... lucky i kept a cool head an managed to free it but it was scary being 10ms down tangled in rope trust me!!
Save your sport ban the GULP!!
deacon
Apprentice Angler

Postby Merc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:44 am

I have only dived a couple of times with my dad.........

But he has been diving for over 25yrs.
And hes scariest diving moment was as follows

He was divving with a mate, i am not shure where
And suddenly every thing whent dark.
He looked up and sore a big sting ray floting above him.
As you would he started to quickly swim back to the surface straight at this sting ray.
But his mate quickly sore what was going on and graded his leg and thrusted his leg back down.
If he didnt god knows what would of happend.
It would of been pretty scary.

Merc :P
SHOW NO MERCY!!!!!
Merc
Experienced Angler

Postby jamo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:18 am

Obviously that dive wasn't in Brazil Beev!? :lol: ;)
www.drunkenadmiral.com.au
jamo
Pro Angler

Postby Beevor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:21 am

Wow...! This is an old thread!

No, not in Brazil Jamo, but just up from the airport..... or to be more precise, the landing strip. ;)
Beevor
Next Idol

Postby Simon Barker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:34 pm

I was snokling in the Avon river in vic when the biggest eel i hav3e ever seen came out from a rock and charged at me being sh....t scared of snakes and anything remotely like them i fle the scene making a considerable wake.

Not quite up to the shark ones though.
Simon Barker
Mullet Hunter

Postby headwerkn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:29 pm

On the last dive of my Open Water certificate at Waterfall Bay, our instructor decided we'd (that's about 10 divers in total) would go through the Horseshoe Cave... of course he was the only one with a torch, so the rest of us madly swam after this little torchlight deeper into the cave... copped a few fin kicks in the head!

Seeing the eerie blue glow as we came out of the other side of the cave was worth it though ;-)
headwerkn
Apprentice Angler

Postby Lurecrazy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:05 pm

you gotta love the "newbie flipper grab" i copped it heaps in my early snorkelling days,a real bloody laugh when you first go off a ledge into ten or fifteen metres below :shock: i left specimen samples in many a borrowed wettie :oops: i reckon if you are gunna do it :twisted: then grab the "newbies" flipper and shake it violently side to side ,they will be just like a squid and release their "dye" i would expect.
Nah it wasn't me
Lurecrazy
Mullet Hunter

Postby frenchy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:12 pm

Diving at a fav spot and was greeted by a 7ft mako whilst bagging a nice cray. Hided in a rock crack as he swimmed over me a couple of laps, then when coast was cleared i hi-tailed it back to boat, very nervous when i had to leave ocean floor and acsend to boat, didn't take much effort to get in....
frenchy
Mullet Hunter

Postby FISHCOW » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:33 pm

gday guys, this is my ever post, byebye cherry,

had an interesting experience in dec 08, went for a quick look for a cray out of stanley, with oatesy the neighbour one afternoon after work early in the week, me on tanks, him on the snorkel, was fairly surgey so we pulled the pin early and went and got a feed of flatties instead, seemed like just another swim at the time, anyway while shifting from dive spot to fishing we passed a 5m glass boat roughly 500m away i reckon, only other boat in the bay, coupla days later, front page in the local rag theres a photo of a white pointer he took that was longer than the boat, we just cant have been on the menu that day,guess when your numbers not up, its not up either.
i still reckon youve got more chance of getting cleaned up on the road than gobbled up by a shark
FISHCOW

Postby tassiehunter » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:12 am

took the tinny over banks to clark for an overnighter to chase a few crays, had been diving most of the day using the hooka. Found the biggest cray for the trip down in this tight hole, got myself in there with lots of wriggling to get hold of him, as I went to back out I found my weight belt was catching a rock edge and I was stuck, I had both arms out in front of me and couldn't get hold of the belt to release it, the cray was carrying on a bit as well and had knocked my mask off and was grabbing the reg hose every so often so I just let him go at that stage. The feeling of being stuck started me panicking a bit and I had to try to tell myself to relax and work it out, I was solo diving so I couldn't wait for a buddy to help. fixed the mask up and kept working on getting the belt over the lip but it wasn't looking good, I knew the hooka should run for hours on the fuel it had and there were other boats and divers over there, but how the hell do I get them ? eventually managed to get the belt undone and with a lot more wriggling got it to slid off my back letting me get out of the jam I was in. I went back to the boat to a none the wiser decky and explained what I'd done, I had a spell for a while thinking about all the possible outcomes (none sounded that good when I was stuck), as far as I know that cray is still living in that hole too, he can stay there!
How do you make so many mistakes in one day? I get up early!
tassiehunter
Apprentice Angler

Postby Greenmachinekayak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:38 pm

I used to go snorkeling and spearfishing. Did it for over 4 years. I used to go every weekend until I got into fishing with a rod. In that 4 years going all over tasmania I never really had a shark experience.

When I was a novice I was a little scared of smooth stingrays because of their size. Grew out of that and now I love to swim with them, pat them and once we even fed it a mullet! I have had the odd brown shark get a bit cranky and try to nip me but there not very scary.

The only incident was on the west coast I was diving for crays. I went down a deep hole (probably my limit at the time) and swam right into the bull kelp. The current waved the kelp over the entrance to the hole and I panicked and got myself tangled in the kelp. Did manage to get free though, I wouldn't say I nearly died that day but that rush of adrenaline and fear is enough to put you off for a while.

Bryan
Would you like Fry's with that?
Greenmachinekayak
Experienced Angler

Re:

Postby PeteFromTassie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Beevor wrote:I went on a muff dive once....

That was pretty hairy stuff.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

BAH AHA AHA AH AHA AHA AH AHA AHA AHA HA! :lol: GOLD!

I've been snorkeling with a spear in hand for many years. Used to hit the trusty old Hawain Sling but upgraded to a gun soon after. :-)

Diving with a mate up at Skeleton Bay near Binalong one year with a good mate Jonno things got a little hairy... He screamed out to me from about 20 meters away and by the time I spotted him he was already fleeing back to shore with some serious intent... I knew he'd worked his brain into a frenzy before the dive because the night before we shared some shark scare stories, so, I kept on hunting...

Sure enough a 2m shark of some description (Mako maybe?) flashed past me about 10m away. I stood my ground to get another look thinking it may have been a seal but then it swang back past for another sneaky look at me and it wasn't a seal! *shock horror*

Needless to say I was out of the water pretty quick smart! HA HA!
Desperately seeking boat. Mortgage raping back pocket but has no issues with charity! :-) HA HA! Otherwise, I'm a great 'deck hand' if you ever feel like taking me out on yours?!?

The Tasmanian Cichlid Club and Aquarium Forum - www.tassiecichlids.com
PeteFromTassie
Expert Angler

Re: Spookest Dive....

Postby JD>LURES » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Diving for a feed of Abalone at Primrose Sands once and was swimming along minding my own business when I was bum rushed by a couple of thousand Blackback Salmon who was being bum rushed by about 20 Dolphins :shock:
The Salmon were in that thick a ball and that panicked they were smashing into me left right and centre and believe me they hit pretty hard.
Wondered what in the hell happened for a minute it all happened that fast.
The Salmon cleared and then the Dolphins went charging past at a hundred mile an hr as well.
Frightened hell outa me for a minute.
Took a good fifteen minutes for all the scales to settle out of the water, they were shimering like snow flakes.

JD
JD>LURES
Pro Angler

PreviousNext

Return to Diving