Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170631
Total topics 16507
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Spookest Dive....

Pics, reports and general diving discussion here.

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Re: Spookest Dive....

Postby MattR » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Pretty spooky going for a dive with 2 southern right whales at bicheno. Dont think ill get that chance again but it wasnt really scary was just in aw off the shear size and power off the things
MattR

Postby SMELLSLIKEFISH » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:14 am

As a teen a mate and i paddled boogie boards out off little mussleroe to collect crabs and shellfish to eat off the islands ,we made it to the third before we realised just how bloody far out we were!.The sun was goin down and boy was that water Black with the kelp surrounding the islands (yuk gives me shivers thinking about it still) but we had no choice other than to very quietly slip back into the unknown and paddle back hopping islands thank god we had big diving flippers to speed it up!.Found out a bit later on that mrs cartwright was taken in that area not long after! I don't even own a wet suit now and won't swim in the sea EVER.
I have three uncles that have dived commercially , one has been hit by a thresher as he was climing the ladder back on board! knocked him back in but didn't have another go. Another uncle had to hide behind a rock while he was being circled by a 15 foot White and running low on oxy but it eventually left him to surface , uncle said it's the only time he didn't enjoy his dive? Shark's are my phobia and i even worry at the beach while the kids swim at little howrah because i know what i can catch there in spring/summer in large numbers up to 6 ft! mrs and i thought we saw a Tiger dorsal off the point a couple years back? Happy swimming!
contraversy is a matter of opinion
SMELLSLIKEFISH
Expert Angler

Postby SMELLSLIKEFISH » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:32 am

While on the subject has anyone any evidence of Tigers in the Derwent? i heard one was caught near cadbury a few years back and that they possibly breed in the brackish water and also delouse? . Liuetenant or captain Boyer was taken by a 'Carribean shark' up the river in his canoe! this would be a Bull or Tiger.
SMELLSLIKEFISH
Expert Angler

Postby Redbream » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:44 am

No such thing as "Tiger Sharks" in Tassie waters. They would be Seven Gilled Sharks or otherwise known as Tiger Sharks by some. :-k
Redbream
Pro Angler

Postby TassieDevil » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:08 am

Yep, all Seven Gilled Sharks in that Cadbury's region the big ones - not that that is what you would have seen anyway as they have no dorsal fin.
A big bugger was caught there a few years back. I reckon you could Google it as it was front page news from memory.
I USED TO GO FISHING ONCE...........
TassieDevil
Experienced Angler

Postby SMELLSLIKEFISH » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:26 am

Redbream wrote:No such thing as "Tiger Sharks" in Tassie waters. They would be Seven Gilled Sharks or otherwise known as Tiger Sharks by some. :-k

I know as Tasmanians we call things what ever we like some times but a seven gill just does'nt look anything like a tiger? I've been told by commercial fisho's that they've seen and caught tigers on the west coast? Tigers are found world wide and can be and are pelagic so i don't know now. A world record seven gill was caught in the Derwent at the wharf from memory? so plenty of those around here. I will find out more. cheers
SMELLSLIKEFISH
Expert Angler

Postby southern boater » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:41 am

SMELLSLIKEFISH wrote:Found out a bit later on that mrs cartwright was taken in that area not long after!

That was indeed a tragic event, but Terri was taken off Tenth Island (Barrenjoey) approx. fifty miles west.
southern boater
Mullet Hunter

Postby jehu » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:44 pm

howdy.a mate of mine was diving at eddystone last year pulled five cray in first 5 min was stuffin the fith in his bag when a 4.5 white went past eyeballin him.he hid in the hole for ten min got the courage up to swin along the bottom to fine the anchor sat there for another ten min till he got the courage and pulled himself up the anchor rope hit the surface yelling at the decky to pull him in the boat,didnt see it again but rekund he didnt need to got to the toilet the rest of the day most of it was in his wetsuit.about four weeks later he was diving at granville on west coast and a 4.5 m white was caught in a net 1 km from where he was diving on the sme day.the funny thing is he still dives?????????????????????????
jehu
Mullet Hunter

Postby WazzaB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:35 pm

some great laughs in this =D> =D>
It didn't get away - I just let him go earlier than I wanted to
WazzaB
Mullet Hunter

Postby edgetracker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 am

WazzaB wrote:some great laughs in this =D> =D>

Sure is Wazza. Wonder if Beevor has been for another dive :?: ;)

I was only around 8 or 9 and went for my first Snorkel in the Detention River. Cruised up towards the bridge only to see :shock: a thumping Port Jackson Shark. A shark was a shark back then to me, so did a u-bolt and rushed back to the shore. Adrenalin had kicked in and i was shacking! Well the story doesn't end their :!: I was running and waddling back to our campsite with my flippers still on in shock, my heart still pounding, next thing a tiger snake :shock: slides across the track and goes across my flippers and thankfully kept going. I remember laying on my bed in the tent with the zips all done up for many a hour, too scared to even surface :!: A shark and a snake all within a few minutes was all too much for the little fella. [-(

Cheers,
ET
"Keep His Head Up"
edgetracker
Expert Angler

Postby boogiewoogie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Not diving, but surfing when there's a crap load of baitfish around is scaryyyyyy! Also surfed a reef in bicheno in summer this year, saw a silver fin pop up out of the water about 3 or 4m away from me I absolutely shat my dacks! Turned around and got sucked over onto dry reef got up onto the rocks and looked out and sure enough was a pack of dolphins. Went back out five mins later after catching my breath and got some of the best waves I've had!

Chris
Wax on, wax off....
boogiewoogie
Mullet Hunter

Postby mannablue » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 am

I happen to live pretty much in between Penguin Island and Seal Island over here in the West, and we have quite a problem with Great Whites...more than a few fatalities last couple of years, not to mention attacked boats and harassed divers lucky to escape with their lives...
Anyway around 15 yrs back I was snorkelling solo getting a feed of crabs, doing quite well when I sensed something wasn't right...don't know how or why but just got a cold shiver over me for some reason. Trying to ignore it and get on with it, I happened to glance back behind me and spied a VERY large shape just ghosting along behind about 30mtrs back, just following and watching.
I stopped and turned around to get a proper view but it would just veer off to the side a bit, keeping it's distance but def eyeballing me up. By myself and at least a km from shore, I had the most terrifying 15 mins of my life swimming back towards the beach fast as possible and constantly glancing back over my shoulder, only to see the big bugger slightly detour off to the side while still eyeballing me every time I looked.
Could see some moored yachts only a few hundred mtrs away and changed course for them, and still every time I looked behind me it was still following. I felt it was only a matter of time till it had a go at me floundering n splashing away on the surface like a frightened mullet but I was nearly at the yachts now, which just made me even more anxious it was gonna get me now!
Got to the nearest yacht, pulled myself up quick as a flash without looking back (too scared to!) and collapsed on the deck, where I remained for the next four hours. I so didn't want to get back in that water, even tho shore was now only 100mtrs away. Eventually had to tho coz the sun was gonna set and I knew a sprint back in darkness would be a lot worse!
On the news the next day, a boat about 500mtrs from where I was diving got banged and belted by a great white.

Haven't been in since and never want to.
I'll stay up top thankyou very much, at least where big biteys are prevalent.
Not all who wander are lost...
mannablue
Mullet Hunter

Postby deacon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:53 am

you guys will like this one :)

i have seen 3 white sharks while spearfishing the story below is on the worst encounter i have had :) still dive 3 times a week seen countless Bronzies, hammers, makos, gray nurse sharks ect they are part of the ocean you just have to get use to them in fact i love seeing them it makes the dive for me.

My self and a mate headed out to my fave little shore dive spot today weather was perfect and the vis was a good 20ms spotted a few nice queenie and a groper then bang some thing ran in to my legs i looked around to see a nice 4m White glide past me eyeballing me the whole time then it circled my dive buddy 3 times before we could scramble up the rocks ( shreading my wetty ) Micheal watched it headbutt me apparently it swam passed him then went to the bottom and came up at me with its mouth open how it dident bite me do not know. I must say having it swim past a meter from my face was one of the biggest rushs of my life
Save your sport ban the GULP!!
deacon
Apprentice Angler

Postby red snapper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:38 pm

as a previous post said sharks are a phobia i would agree with that if you think about them you might as well not get in the water i dive commercially for abs and we spend on average 5hrs a day in the water and there are 120 of us divers in the state taken into account the amount of hours in the water we spend and the amount of shark attacks each year you would have more chance getting killed in a car accident.
so who is going to stop driving there cars now get in the water and get yourself a feed of fish and forget about the sharks
red snapper
Apprentice Angler

Postby Stargazer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Well put Red snapper, I have been in the water with a very large White and a Killer Whale and only have been in hospital as the result of a car accident.
Prefer the water to the road any day.
Stargazer
Apprentice Angler

PreviousNext

Return to Diving