Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170634
Total topics 16508
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

SBT cubing / chumming/ live baiting

For all GAME FISHING discussion be in tackle, boats or anything else (Reports in the "salt water reports" section).......

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Postby Gunsmoke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Im guilty of being a knuckle dragger tuna guy. Lol. Mean, lure dragger, the dead, artificial kind. Extent of my adapting to conditions is lure spread, style of (pusher, bibbed, jet, etc) and speed. Woah. Expertise fail.

So. Always wondered about live baiting, of chunking (cubing) SBT.

Ive caught 2 SBT on bait.... over 20 plus years of offshore fishing , both times on the drop into 500m for BlueEye. Years apart. Clearly they, ll take baits in Tasmanian waters. And fighting them out of a few hundred meters vertical redefines burnen forearms and guarentees a trip to your favourite chiropractor. Real mans standup :shock:

Wonder why the Tas offshore community doesnt actively target them with livies / dead baits or chunking. Works on the big island, monster yellowfin and big eye attest to that. Or, maybe they do and just dont share with anyone...

Really interested in learning more about this, and hearing others experience.

Only 4 or 5 years ago Broadbill in Tassie by the rec sector was damn as near unheard of. Look how thats turned out!

Are we tuna fishing wrong? Are the jumbos just waiting for some live Jack Mackeral to be presented on a needle sharp hook.

The long liners continued landing mega SBT out wide long after the lures dried up last year. Says something surely.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby Orange roughy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Every time I go fishing with mates , we always say "we should try cubing for bluefin... never happens though[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Orange roughy
Apprentice Angler

Re: SBT cubing / chumming/ live baiting

Postby Gunsmoke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Orange roughy wrote:Every time I go fishing with mates , we always say "we should try cubing for bluefin... never happens though[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

And i think thats 90% of the problem.

Committing the time to try. Just putting ourselves in good SBT water takes effort and bucks, so (for me) potentially spending a season trying a new to me technique to catch something i can catch by knuckle (dang, meant LURE) dragging has appeal factor of zip.

Maybe next season. Burn my lures. Then i will have no choice lol.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Return to Game Fishing