Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170609
Total topics 16505
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Gunsmoke, 600hp tinny

Post all boating related topics here....

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Gunsmoke, 600hp tinny

Postby Gunsmoke » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi guys,
Thought id share some pics of my recently completed rebuild of my Tristar 7m platey.

It was a back to metal refurbishment, a few modifications, new paint, rewire, some updated electronics, and a power update.

The boats had several engines, and ive owned it for around 10 years since it was built. Its a tank. 6mm hull, 4mm everywhere else and positive foam filled, two fuel tanks for 650lt.

Last edited by Gunsmoke on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Re: Gunsmoke, 600hp tinny

Postby Gunsmoke » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:35 pm

My mini me has enjoyed the process, and calls Gunsmoke his "fast boat" lol

Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby Gunsmoke » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:42 pm

If theres some interest, im happy to document the rebuild process, loads of photographs of every stage over the last 12 months.

Happy to answere any questions members may have.

Regards

GS.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby the big h » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:24 pm

600HP :shock: What's its top end speed? Or is it to scary to even try to open her up that far?
the big h
Mullet Hunter

Postby Gunsmoke » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:52 pm

600HP What's its top end speed? Or is it to scary to even try to open her up that far?

It's taken a some practice...

WOT is reserved for special occasions.

Performance figures were a pleasant surprise I have to say, as the desire was to prop it for a economical cruise speed. Prior to the rebuild I was running a single F300. Cruise was around 30kn around 45-4600rpm depending on fuel and gear load. I do run the boat loaded down, and the hull is heavy for its length. At 30 it returned 1.1-1.2km/lt again dependent on load. WOT with the single was 41kn @ .5km/lt.

Since fitting the second engine the performance is as follows.

26kn @ 2800
28kn @ 3000
40kn @ 4000
45kn @ 4600
50kn @ 5100
55kn @ 5800

Best economy is 1.1km/lt @ 26.
Cruise economy, 28-38kn returns 1.0/lt

Above 40 economy starts to turn to custard, but considering the speed it ain't too bad. At 55 fuel burn is 200/hr and about .5km/lt. I did see 57 light, but that was just silly :shock:

Flat water like runs from margate to Partridge Island on the way to the Friars I find a fast cruise of 40-42kn a happy place. Have to say though, damn its tempting to sit her up at high 40s when the engines are doing so easy lol

In a nutshell, I doubled the HP, and near as dammit matched the economy, while travelling faster.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby Simonosy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 am

Pretty fair machine that is! Huge upfront $ on twin 300 4 stokes though, surely?

Man that must be loose on the water at 50knots!
Twitch, twitch..... twitch..... CLUNK!!!
Simonosy
Pro Angler

Postby rohanlobster » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:22 am

Thats a nice bit of gear tristar do make a nice hull both cats and mono. Interested to see what you did with the flotation foam so far as placement goes. Is the deck sealed and self draining? Wouldn't mind seeing a few more build pics its been a while since I have seen one done from the bottom up with an open checkbook :D =D>
rohanlobster
Apprentice Angler

Postby Gunsmoke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Simonosy wrote:Pretty fair machine that is! Huge upfront $ on twin 300 4 stokes though, surely?

Man that must be loose on the water at 50knots!

Incremental steps…
The plan was always to run a twin set on the hull, I bought a pair of 2500hr F225 when originally fitting the hull out. Money was short, big custom trailer with Flexitors, bronze disks and rotors, the Sensa-Brake, Furunro sounder and 1kw trans all competing for $$$$. So I on sold one of those engines….
Flicked that about 2 years later, upgraded to a 750hr F250. Great engine, still love that particular model, it was strong, efficient, astoundingly quiet and packed so much more grunt that the 225 version of the same block. Kept the 250 for five years or there abouts.

2014 got the first F300. Wow, the new "big block" 4.2s are more powerful by no small margin, more efficient BUT a fair bit louder underway. Thankfuly the DB at idle is no different.

A couple months ago I got the second donk and bolted it on.
The justification ????….. What is after all an eye watering spend on outboards. Based on another 10 years of use. I run 150 + hours a year so if I amortise the cost over a couple thousand hours….. it’s not so bad LOL

You're pretty spot on, up to about 50 it's quite well behaved. Pushing past requires a cautious, considered approach and is definitely NOT for the inexperienced. With the current power it's not a boat you can lend to any Jo Blo.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby Gunsmoke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:37 pm

rohanlobster wrote:Thats a nice bit of gear tristar do make a nice hull both cats and mono. Interested to see what you did with the flotation foam so far as placement goes. Is the deck sealed and self draining? Wouldn't mind seeing a few more build pics its been a while since I have seen one done from the bottom up with an open checkbook :D =D>

Sure thing, happy to put some progress photographs up.

I did all the work except paint application and getting the engine heights set up, so saved quite a bit of labour - like literally hundreds of hours as it turned out. It took me nearly 12 months of late nights, sometimes all nighters when I was on a role!

As for foam, it's injection applied under deck, and the deck is self draining. Positive foam flotation is mandatory in my book, I run this thing a long way offshore, 100nm round trips SE of Margate just another day on the water. :D
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby rohanlobster » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:47 pm

Oh yeah I can imagine the man hours you have thrown into her, Rome wasnt built in a day =D> Ha ha 100nm day trips :shock: I like your form well worth the investment if you are racking up those distances. Look forward to the pics :D
rohanlobster
Apprentice Angler

Postby Redbream » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Nice looking rig and great engines. There is another Tri-Star getting about with 300 yams...Slow Motion its called. From St Helens. Its an Ab boat. Ive spent hundreds of hour in this one...

Started life with twin 200 2strokes, then 225 4strokes. Great boat, superb work platform that would carry big loads (2000kg+) but did ride very hard when empty. It went to WA.

Part of 2100kg of Abalone this day 8)

Redbream
Pro Angler

Postby Gunsmoke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Seen that one up the coast a few years ago.

Agree they run better with a load, mine punches better than most, and ive tried more than a few. And some of the bigger, better plastic boats with rep for good ride... And many simply dont live the hype! Ive been disappointed more than a few times.

Theres another 7m tristar up the NWC running 300s i believe.

At the end of the day, the few wave crushing trailer boats ive run in have been cats.

But 7m+ plastic cats filled with juice and fitted with all the gear become a intimidating tow proposition. 4000kg trailerboats are for serious punters only hahaha
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby Redbream » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:07 pm

I know that feeling.....

4.5t loaded..

AYSHA-B was a far better boat with the 200's. The extra weight of the four strokes just upset the balance a bit and surprisingly, even with an extra 50hp, it struggled to plane the same weights.
Redbream
Pro Angler

Postby Gunsmoke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Wow, beach launching that big girl, that takes some stones!

Impressive truck, absolutely needed to safely handle the big Shark Cat.

On the 3.3 F225 they were by no means a power house. Not surprised about your experience lifting loads. I've heard that from commercial guys before. I've swapped out a EFI 225 saltwater series for a fourstroke and while it was nicer to run offshore (without that huge power band on/off) it felt paltry by comparison. But travelling in a seaway required far less throttle inputs to hold a comfortable speed.. The 2 banger was either bogged or going too damn fast.
Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Postby Gunsmoke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Immediately prior to refurbishment.

Gunsmoke
Mullet Hunter

Next

Return to Boats and bits