Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170631
Total topics 16507
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Closure - SFT forums

Information on site updates and general news.

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Closure - SFT forums

Postby Admin. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi all,

It is with mixed emotions that the time has come to close the Sports Fish Tasmania forums. Sports Fish Tasmania was launched as a platform for like minded anglers to share their knowledge and fishing experiences close to 15 years ago. While SFT grew to become much bigger and popular than I could have ever anticipated, times have changed, the way people communicate and access information is every evolving. In a world dominated (for good or bad) by social media, the traditional platforms like forums have had a steady decline in traffic over the last 3-5 years.

Unfortunately the changes noted above mean the site in its current format isn't financially sustainable and as a result will gradually see the closure of the forums over the coming months. The forum will be read only from the end of October 2017, read only access will cease at the start of December 2017

There are two site Sponsors I want to make note of who support for SFT has been consistent for many years:

Tamar Marine - Tim @ Tamar marine has been the longest standing supporter of SFT, without this support it would not have been the site it evolved into.... Not only do they have the best fishing and boating shop in Tasmania they support the Tasmanian community... from advertising here to sponsoring fishing competitions.... Get behind the guys that support fishing in Tas!

http://www.tamarmarine.com.au

Drunken Admiral - Jamo @ DA has been SFT's second longest standing sponsor... The financial benefits to DA for such advertising was likely minimal, Jamo believed in SFT and could see the benefits it delivered to anglers all over the state... Next time your heading out for a feed in Hobart I'd encourage you to keep them in mind!

http://drunkenadmiral.com.au

Lastly to the members of SFT thank you to each and every one of you who have contributed over the years. Without the members who have kindly taken the time to contribute content over the years SFT wouldn't be the site it has become!

What is next?

SFT will continue to operate on FaceBook

SFT Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/283165128726817/

Here you can post photos, share trip reports or discuss the latest trends in all things fishing.

SFT Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sportsfishtasmania/

The SFT Facebook page will continue to share Tas fishing news, if you haven't done so already head on over and give it a LIKE!

Tight lines!
Admin.
Site Admin

Re: Closure - SFT forums

Postby Admin. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Top ten members by post count:

eddystone 9219
wallytrout 5154
angling-addict 5144
Beevor 5076
temp 4335
blacksnake 3664
TassieDevil 3662
ahowell 3653
The Caveman 3596
nbyrne 3278
Admin.
Site Admin

Postby marlyn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Lol. Blacksnake. R.I.P. big fella.
marlyn
Apprentice Angler

Postby vertigrator » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for building and maintaining a great resource for the Tas fishing community Patrick. You brought a whole bunch of like minded people together over the years for some laughs, sharing of knowledge and meet ups that formed great friendships. Good work.
One two three four five, once I caught a fish alive
Six seven eight nine ten, then I let him go again ><((((º>
vertigrator
Experienced Angler

Postby Paulus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Well, that's a serious bummer.I might not have been especially active in the short time I've been a member, but have definitely got a lot out of the forum and enjoyed participating. I absolutely won't have TwitFace in the house - too many avenues for unwanted crap to get into my computer ( have had to rebuild a couple of times in the past, trying it out). Not worth the hassle IMO. And totally loathe the stuff where every nana just does "like" instead of making any meaningful response or profferring a point of view to make a conversation.

I'll miss the forum, but too old to be bothered with any of that (anti)social media crap, so I guess this is "over and out". :cry:
Paulus
Apprentice Angler

Postby tastrophy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Sad to see this news as SFT was and is a great outlet for all anglers.Thanks for your effort Eddystone I know I learned a lot and met many mates through the site as well.SFT will live on and all members will and should see that it does as well. tastrophy.
troutfish tasmania
tastrophy
Trout Tickler

Postby Sportsfisher » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:02 pm

I loved my fishing before I stumbled across SFT, but I loved it even more when I had this fantastic platform to share my adventures from!

I learnt a lot from this forum and met a lot of great blokes through it too. Thanks for providing such a great resource Pat. :)

Sportsfisher 8)
Sportsfisher
Pro Angler

Postby msquito » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Agree with everyone above. Sad to see it close. Certainly helped me out when i moved down here a few years ago. But it's been a steady decline in activity. A few have tried too keep the forum ticking over but social media has changed the way fishermen connect
msquito
Mullet Hunter

Postby eddystone » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I’d encourage everyone to jump on the sft Facebook group and continue to share their adventures.

Hopefully it becomes more than a product placement filled brag board that much of the Facebook content is these days!

Social media has certainly changed the landscape and how we communicate ... sadly for the next generation of anglers the quality of content isn’t likely to improve with time. Gone are the days when we could/would discuss our own experience in detail....

Who knows maybe we will go full circle and someone will start SFT Mark 2!
LIKE the Sports Fish TasmaniaFacebook page to recieve up to date information from site sponsors and the IFS
eddystone

Postby WazzaB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm

I am greatly saddened by the news of the site closure. The site has given me many hours of great reading about members, their stories and viewing photos of their catches. Some of the stories and pictures posted on this site were instrumental in me making the move to Tassie to enjoy my retirement. A move I will never regret. Stories and photos from Tyenna Dave, young Nathan, Beevor and many other regular posters gave me enormous pleasure. Thank you all. =D> =D> =D>

Some threads and posts I will never forget and I still always get a laugh when I tell the story to my friends and acquaintances of my reading the thread about members "Scariest Dives" which I read with interest until I got to Beevor's post which literally had me rolling around the floor for days. :D :D :D Other posts from guys like Tyenna Dave when he was just starting out experimenting with his under water photos of his trout releases also gave me great pleasure. =D> =D> =D>

Thanks guys
WazzaB
It didn't get away - I just let him go earlier than I wanted to
WazzaB
Mullet Hunter

Postby Beevor » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 pm

It sounds pretty cliche, but feels a little like the end of an era. I spent many an hour in those early days, pouring over posts from so many informed contributors, that helped me to try so much new gear, at so many new places, for so many species. It was a daily fix, looking at hourly pix. Instead of pissing my money up the wall, all of a sudden I was pissing it directly into a tackle box. A fly fishing store. A camera store. A hiking store. I acquired so much fancy stuff that before I knew it - all of a sudden I was the alleged guru, passing on that same knowledge to other punters, hooking up with random STF'ers, forming friendships, offering advice wherever possible, taking a multitude of tips on board, copping lip, giving lip, but mostly talking smack and taking the piss, while exploring the absolute hell out of Tasmania. Once these friendships were formed, then I found myself pissing money back up the wall. At bottle-shops. Service stations. Counter meals, but all in good fun :lol:

There are many names in Tasmanian folklore that are synonymous with fishing both today and yesteryear; Scholes, Wigram, Jetson, Orr, Hackett, Stevens, Grose, Bassano, Hayes. For me, another that can be added to that list is Sportsfish Tasmania and Patrick Sullivan.

Thanks for providing the platform for many years of fun, experience, knowledge and entertainment Patty!! NoTw
Beevor
Next Idol

Postby telr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am

As another who has benefited more from reading posts here (forums played a part in my retirement here as well), but didn't post probably enough, being in a bit of awe (still am) of the great fishers here, and feeling a bit (lot) of loss as another forum bites the dust, and not being a F-book supporter, bye-bye and thanks!
telr
Apprentice Angler

Postby Redbream » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Yes, as I have already posted on 'the book' I'll say it again here. It's a massive shame, but some things in life just run their course. SFT ran a mammoth course. Huge congrats goes out to Eddy for the way he ran SFT and the wealth of knowledge that has been handed around. The banter that went on cost my former boss plenty of time and money I tell you :lol:
The people I've met, places I'v been etc. through exposure on here will ever be in the memory bank. Good times and an even better fishing resource. The fishermen of Tasmania owe SFT a lot. Well done all 8)
Redbream
Pro Angler

Postby TassieDevil » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am

SFT has certainly been an amazing place for us anglers to visit, use, read and contribute over the years.
Still holds a huge amount of valuable info and photos from around our great state.
Pat, you should be proud of what it has achieved. Sad to see it go.
A highlight would be reading the posts from the young members and watching them grow very quickly into very skilled and successful anglers.
We have all prospered from this site and met some great people.
Congrats to all involved.
I'll be heading in to the Drunken Admiral before the year is out.

Thanks again Patrick and co.
I USED TO GO FISHING ONCE...........
TassieDevil
Experienced Angler

Postby TassieDevil » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am

tastrophy wrote:Sad to see this news as SFT was and is a great outlet for all anglers.Thanks for your effort Eddystone I know I learned a lot and met many mates through the site as well.SFT will live on and all members will and should see that it does as well. tastrophy.

Loved the Tas Trophy Tales over the years Ricey!!!
I USED TO GO FISHING ONCE...........
TassieDevil
Experienced Angler

Next

Return to Site News