Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Aussie salmon recipes

Share your favourite recipes here!

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Aussie salmon recipes

Postby mustbeasalmon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Lots of people say this fish is no good on the chew! Well I strongly disagree and find the flesh very similar to flathead. with a beer batter or anything these fillets can be de-lush. here's a very simple way to use this fish if you don't enjoy the fillets as much as myself.

Sambo cakes....

Grab a heap of spuds. Boil them. mash them lightly. to the mash (while hot) add ground ginger, fresh parsley (finely chopped) zest from a lemon and lime and garlic. i just taste and add untill i like the flavour. next fillet your salmon and pan fry with skin on. sit both of these to the side and let cool. now pan fry some onion with a slight bit of ginger and garlic then let cool. Once everything has cooled down combine all ingredients (half salmon half spud if possible)
Mixture may seem a bit dry. Now simply squeeze in some lemon and lime juice from ones you have left over from zesting until you feel it's moist enough. Don't over do the juices. Now simply roll into a ball or fat cake and crumb them.
Rest in fridge for an hour or so
Now simply just fry them (deep or shallow) until golden brown and cooked through
and there ya go beautiful flavoured fish cakes! I guarantee this simple recipe will make you going back for more
mustbeasalmon
Apprentice Angler

Re: Aussie salmon recipes

Postby crabman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:20 pm

What do you do about the blood meat between the flesh and the skin? I've always cut it out while raw and feed to the cat (to make her coat shiny!) and blend up the raw flesh and then mix into the spud mixture.. Either way, they're an awesome way to enjoy the ol' salmon ;-)
TIGHT LINES!!!
crabman
Mullet Hunter

Postby mustbeasalmon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:16 pm

It's pretty easy to separate any blood meat when combining ingredients. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that you need to remove the skin after cooking and all remaining bones. the blood meat sits along the skin and if the fish is bled as soon as it is caught you shouldn't have much blood meat there.
mustbeasalmon
Apprentice Angler

Postby Greenmachinekayak » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Hey mate,

I tried your fish cake recipe and loved it! I think it's a good recipe to go on any undesirable fish so I'm going to save it for stuff like pike, couta, trout magpie perch etc. As for Australian Salmon, that stuff is to good for fish cakes! Haters can hate all they want but I'll take a fillet off a 35-45cm Aussie salmon over a piece of dirty flake any day of the week!

I like to lightly spice it in chicken coat mix and then just pan fry with garlic and butter. Can't beat it with a bit of lemon juice to finish it off! Skin should be removed along with the blood line. Serve with chips and salad =P~ =P~
Would you like Fry's with that?
Greenmachinekayak
Experienced Angler

Postby hentyboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 am

I agree Bryan,
many that I know really enjoy a feed of Aussie salmon, bled ASAP and filleted without a bone remaining. The Cat has a party and I enjoy eating the crisp skin (once cooked). Small fish of 1 to 1.5 lbs provide lovely sweet fillets. The bigger ones I am happy not to catch or to let a mate have. They are great fun on a fly rod, to see them boiling after your retrieval and fish above 3 lb take a lot of landing as they pull very hard at the end of a 3 meter stick.

A friends wife insists that he stock up her freezer supplies in winter with salmon fillets, so he can have time to waste over the trout season chasing useless fish.

For mine, I enjoy them freshly cooked and the variety is welcomed.

I will give that recipe a try as it sounds like a great winter feed.
Cheers,
Brian
hentyboy
Expert Angler

Postby tastrophy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:12 pm

That recipe is one similar i use especially for trout/searunners.

I don't really like trout that much baked or even filleted and fried,it's allright but id rather it smoked same as salmon..The recipe was handed down to me by a mate years ago and it was one that is versatile and works with all fish.

I cook up a couple of trout in a pan head off and tail. would work allready filleted too but after the fish is cooked i just take all the cooked flesh off the frames and make sure there are no bones in it. mix it up in a bowl with some spices/pepper/salt.All the while spud is cooking to be mashed yes and mixed in with the fish flesh..also a bit of onion/bacon.spices..whatever tickles your fishy fancy really.bung it all in the bowl and mix it up and make into cakes..

bit of flour or the chicken /fish coating mix or breadcrumbs and yur away. 8)

Ive heard of similar used with aus salmon and makes sense as they are not the best table fish aside and it's why i worked the recipe into trout territory too jazzing it up a bit.

try it with a trout sometime as they are beautiful hot or cold.. :)

tt
troutfish tasmania
tastrophy
Trout Tickler

Postby spastic on plastic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 pm

tastrophy wrote:That recipe is one similar i use especially for trout/searunners.

I don't really like trout that much baked or even filleted and fried

[-X ....you forgot the near kilo of blood redded fleshy nive river browns filleted and beefed up with some ayam teriyaki marinade that we consumed for an after dinner snack...was gonna save some cold for bikkies but that was the s*** we near at the lot....that s*** was finger licking good ;)
6 years now and seriously still thinking of what to put here???
spastic on plastic
Munter Hunter

Postby Redbream » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm

mustbeasalmon wrote:Lots of people say this fish is no good on the chew! Well I strongly disagree and find the flesh very similar to flathead. with a beer batter or anything these fillets can be de-lush. here's a very simple way to use this fish if you don't enjoy the fillets as much as myself.

Sambo cakes....

Grab a heap of spuds. Boil them. mash them lightly. to the mash (while hot) add ground ginger, fresh parsley (finely chopped) zest from a lemon and lime and garlic. i just taste and add untill i like the flavour. next fillet your salmon and pan fry with skin on. sit both of these to the side and let cool. now pan fry some onion with a slight bit of ginger and garlic then let cool. Once everything has cooled down combine all ingredients (half salmon half spud if possible)
Mixture may seem a bit dry. Now simply squeeze in some lemon and lime juice from ones you have left over from zesting until you feel it's moist enough. Don't over do the juices. Now simply roll into a ball or fat cake and crumb them.
Rest in fridge for an hour or so
Now simply just fry them (deep or shallow) until golden brown and cooked through
and there ya go beautiful flavoured fish cakes! I guarantee this simple recipe will make you going back for more

I like the sound of this, but if really want to go back for 2nds then try adding some finely chopped fresh corriander and some chilli as well ;)
Redbream
Pro Angler

Postby williamshaker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:32 am

I'm sorry I should have mentioned that you need to remove the skin after cooking and all remaining bones.
thanks for post it!!!!!!!!!!
williamshaker

Postby ratherbefishin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:00 am

I agree both aussie salmon and trout make great fishcakes I have been eating them this way for years.
If you bleed them properly when caught you end up with no or very little blood meat in salmon.
I also smoke both these fish and make a lovely salmon and horseradish or trout and horseradish pate.
next time I am at home I will find the recipe and post on here it with exact measurements of each ingredient its very simple to make using smoked fish ,philly cheese,horseradish paste and some fresh cream .
blend it all up and put in the fridge to set overnight then consumed next day with a good biscuit or cracker
I WORK TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO WORK
ratherbefishin
Pro Angler

Postby Lix » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:27 am

These days I really enjoy salmon with pretty much any european/mediterranian recipe for barbecuing any of the mullets etc. Makes a great meal

Will try that fish cake mix, it sounds good

Alex
Lix
Apprentice Angler

Postby adolfainsley8 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:07 pm

I will find the recipe and post on here it with exact measurements of each ingredient its very simple to make using smoked fish ,philly cheese,horseradish paste and some fresh cream???
adolfainsley8

Return to Cooking your catch