Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170634
Total topics 16508
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

A little confused?

Got a suggestion to improve the site??? Post here.

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

A little confused?

Postby Mtrobbo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Can I suggest that some sort of indication of who or what products sponsor this site. A lot of valuable advice flows on this site and plenty of brands get pushed, it just seems a little secretive.

Are people sharing their experience or dropping a brand that's paying to be named?

I didn't even know Dave sold his lures.
Mtrobbo
Apprentice Angler

Re: A little confused?

Postby Seemus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 pm

This is probably against Rules and Regulations also,
But i wonder who complained about him and if they will come forward?
I LiKa dO tHe ChA cHa
Seemus
Mullet Hunter

Postby azza » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:52 pm

If you go to the forums list the third one down from the top is sft sponsors, this lists the current sponsors of the site as far as im aware.

Aaron.
FEAR NO FISH!
azza
Mullet Hunter

Postby SMELLSLIKEFISH » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Seems to be one rule for some and another for us mortals. Plenty of brand pushing by some.
contraversy is a matter of opinion
SMELLSLIKEFISH
Expert Angler

Postby TassieDevil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:38 pm

I don't think there is anything secretive about SFT sponsors, as Azza stated;
They appear in the banner at the top of the page that changes every time the screen loads.
They are listed down the right hand side of the home and forum screens,
And there's a whole thread dedicated to SFT sponsors.

I don't think there's any need for anyone to come forward. From what Admin said concern was expressed by someone.
That may have been a sponsor who is paying $$$$ to advertise on the site. And I would guess that is not for Admin or anyone to confirm.
Without sponsors the site doesn't survive.
Try organising and promoting a comp with multiple sponsors some of who are not site sponsors.
On this site those SFT sponsors were given exposure they deserve, the others well you have to respect the rules of the site and that to me is perfectly fine.

I think Admin does a great job of managing the site. There's a lot to police and we all have different tolerances and beliefs. Largely it takes a thread to go a fair way off track before Admin is involved.
I personally believe it is managed well and the site sponsors deserve to be looked after.
I'm sure many of us have plenty that could be spruiked but abiding by the site rules prevents it and that's fair enough.

Dave's lures are obviously very good quality given the fish he and other catches on them, I've seen them for sale in tackle stores and the finish is great - I'm sure that a site sponsorship would pay for itself in no time if he advertised on SFT. Then we all would be able to soak up his knowledge once again.
I don't know but to me that seems like a better outcome than half the forum getting offside over what are site rules.

And if people believe there is person/persons flaunting site rules well shoot Admin a PM. Fairs fair.

My 2 cents worth - I enjoy the site. Nothing needs to change.
I USED TO GO FISHING ONCE...........
TassieDevil
Experienced Angler

Postby trout tramp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 pm

I highly doubt that admin will tell us who made the complaint or that the supposed person who made the complaint would come forward
I also find it hard to believe that the supposed person complaining doesn't have a ulterior motive ( something to gain from this or at least think they do)
I like so many others on here still fail to see where all this advertising is that is creating commercial interest (hardly call the odd photo of a lure advertising )
The worst part is if they were given out for free the person putting in the complaint would probably be one of the first in line for a free hand out
One last note has any one even said what it is that he is supposedly advertising lures/flies /painting's what brand of rod's what 's he actually advertising /doing wrong
Trout tramp
trout tramp
Mullet Hunter

Postby JD>LURES » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:29 pm

This old chestnut :lol:

Ive been on fishing forums across Aus for years and nothing causes more problems than the advertising issue.
Basicly, if you make anything that is intended for commercial sale and post anything on these forums that promotes that product inadvertently or intentionaly then it will most likely get picked up under the advertising rules.
ie; if you make lures you are intending to sell and post pics of fish caught on them on the forum then depending on how strict or lenient the Admin is you may well find you are breaching the rules.
Ive been picked up and warned on forums myself not even thinking when I posted something.
I can see both sides of the fence.
If we are going to make financial gane from utilising a public forum we must pay something for advertising, this I agree with. HOWEVER, I have always believed there should be something in place to support small local cottage industry guys as the cost of advertising is out of the relm of reality for guys that are very small and may only sell or want to sell a few handfulls of items per year.
This where problems can be perceived as favouritism etc. The bigger producers advertising away but someone talking up a few hand crafted lures gets picked up because they have not paid for advertising.
Ive always believed there should be a spot on these forums to help out the local little guys. Cottage industry section or something of the like. But that's not for me to say, that's admins decision on how their site is run.
Its a very hard situation to keep all happy.

JD
JD>LURES
Pro Angler

Postby Admin. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Site sponsors can be viewed here,

viewforum.php?f=33

There are no rules that stipulate that a product can not be names in a report, if you find a lure that works for you by all means let others know.

You shouldn't be posting to gain a personal financial advantage or on behalf of someone else for them to gain a personal advantage. There are lots of guys here that receive product from suppliers on sponsored rates etc and I have never edited a report as it goes both ways, they provide content for users and their sponsors get some exposure.

Blatant advertising is not allowed, if you feel that it is your right to profit from sports fish Tasmania great, sign up as a sponsor and help support the wider community by keeping Sft online.

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3352

About as straight forward as it gets ;) I'm sure this has answered everyone's questions all be it a select group...

If not shoot me a pm.

Jd,

Some very good points there from someone with quite a bit of experience in the industry, happy for some promotion as noted above. It just needs to be respectful of advertisers, hence reports are likely the best way to mention a product.

Sft is a small local to don't forget, if its shut down because we have no advertisers where would the locals get exposure? ;) it's a catch 22!

Thanks
Admin.
Admin.
Site Admin

Return to Site Suggestions