Recent Forum Topics

Site Sponsors

Statistics

Total posts 170631
Total topics 16507
Total members 4055
Our newest member Crumbs

Spookest Dive....

Pics, reports and general diving discussion here.

Moderator: Admin.

Topic Rating:

Spookest Dive....

Postby col » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:17 pm

Righto all you bubble heads out there its time to don the wetties and tell of your most spookest dive. :shock: You know the one. Your crusing alone when you get that testie shrinking feeling that there is something behind you. Big. Hungry. Lots of razor sharp flesh shredding teeth 8-[ . Once you think that you JUST can not shake the feeling. So come on jot im down
Cheers Col
col
Expert Angler

Postby Shep » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Mine mould have to be when I was a little tacker. Just getting into the snorkling scene. Anyhoo this fine afternoon The oldman and I lauch the boat from Burns Bay (St Helens) Dropped a net :oops: :oops: (Yes I'm a reformed Rape and Pillager of the Ocean) in the next bay round from the ramp and headed off to dive some of the small coves around the coastline.

Come back to pull the net and I dive in to have a look-see what in the net. As I'm swimming along the net I look down and directly under me theres this Thumpin great ray. Scared the begeezes out me. Dad reckons I was like a seal at Seaworld the way I got back into the boat. Flew out of the water into the boat without ever touching the ladder.

Shep
When the fish arn't on the chew Don't change lure, Change your state of consciousness and rack out.
Shep
Apprentice Angler

Postby col » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:54 pm

Nice. Would have been funny to see. I have a couple Rothmar can vouch for one.
Couple of years ago a mate and i went for a dive on Betsey Island. Dropped the pick and in we go(eventually i dress slow :oops: ) So im diving along and its kinda shallow 5mt and the swells picked up. The bottom was all little bombies that started rolling back and forth. I kid you not sould like that tune from frigging Jaws. So now im spooked and airs getting low so i surface.
The frigging current (which we didnt notice) have pushed us two bays away from the boat. So im swiming back all the time feeling like a bleeding seal to the hoards of massive blood hungry sharks that i belive are all around me. Cant see my mate :roll: I figured the sharks had him and while they were busy with him i can get back to the boat :shock:
25 min of hard swiming and i get there and my mates right behimd me.
So scared it was not funny
Cheers Col
col
Expert Angler

scary dive

Postby snowman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:51 pm

going for a dive out of marion bay down towards the neck. we where having an early start so set the alarm for 4.30 am before the alarm woke me . i was dreaming i was swimming along in wine glass bay on top of the surface looked below and seen an noah of quite some size . it proceeded to turn and roll with a grey body on top and a white underneath come up flat out at me . i woke up as it opened its huge jaws . it was only a white i was dreaming about . the alarm went of . thought should i go . went some deep drop offs out there . but i ripped ten crays out of there holes for the morning anothe for me and my licenced mate . twas my most nervie dive stuck close to the bottom that day.
snowman

Postby col » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Yeah once ya get that sharkie feeling yajust cannot shake it! :evil:
Why Not?
col
Expert Angler

Postby pegron » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:03 pm

First dive I did with my wife we saw a shark, just a little tacker but first real shark I've seen in Tas. Next time out with her and a friend of ours up at eddystone I was swimming along staring at the bottom as you do then looked up to see a massive grey shape coming towards me, I could hear the jaws music in my mind and damn near sh*t myself. I turned to tell the girls to hang down deep only to be confronted with another big grey thing, a dolphin that cruised between me and them, in the end we spent the rest of our air swimming with them (there were quite a few) and it was great, but that first peak at a big grey shape that I thought was a big shark cruising in towards me nearly killed me with fright.
Cheers
Col.
here fishy fishy fishy
pegron
Experienced Angler

Postby tangles » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:51 pm

That would be a fright at first,right size and shape from a distance
Tangles
tangles
Expert Angler

Postby jeto » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:42 pm

my wosrt dive would have to have been about a yr ago when me and a mate went diving for a few crey. he was under a massive rock bolder squished in as far as he could be so i could only really see his feel and his bubbles from his breathing. so i have swam past having a giggle at how funny he looked i came back 2 to 3 mins later and saw him lieing still as and no bubbles my first opinion was !*#$ he is dead so i have grabed him and pulled him out by his feet as fast as i could. I get him out and he is fine but a little startled from me ripping him out from under the rock. what had happened was there was a great big air pocket under the rock so that is where his bubbles where going so they wear not comming out of the hole and he was lieing still because he was waiting for the water to settle a bit so he could see where he had dropped his torch. never been so scared in my life it was nasty
jeto
Apprentice Angler

Postby Tasbasser » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:21 pm

I Started getting into snorkeling many years ago....Headed up to Waterhouse to do some shore dives for abalone and cray....I was working around the edge but decided to cut across a small bay.....Half way across I've notice a large shape on or near the bottom....I did a shallow dive to see what it was....I quickly realised it was a shark and a big one at that and very fat....He looked to be dormant or taking a nap...But I can still remember the feeling of trying real hard not splash too much as I made my way to the other shore....I think I actually splashed and thrashed like a maniac.... :lol: :lol: Never dived since and never will...quit while your ahead the say.Not sure what type of shark and it doesn't matter to me as all I know is that it was a lot bigger than me....

PT
Fish for the Future
Tasbasser
Experienced Angler

Postby Beevor » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:22 pm

I went on a muff dive once....

That was pretty hairy stuff.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beevor
Next Idol

Postby gothepies » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:37 pm

You might reach for the Nair next time and improve the journey :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gothepies
Apprentice Angler

Postby blacksnake » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:41 pm

Beevor wrote:I went on a muff dive once....

hmm you're on thin ice i reckon beevs 8) 8)

waterhouse or any pt on tassies landscape with a fair bit of tidal flow is going to be a nice little hide out for a big noah ;)
blacksnake
Experienced Angler

Postby gothepies » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:44 pm

Tasbasser wrote:I Started getting into snorkeling many years ago....Headed up to Waterhouse to do some shore dives for abalone and cray....I was working around the edge but decided to cut across a small bay.....Half way across I've notice a large shape on or near the bottom....I did a shallow dive to see what it was....I quickly realised it was a shark and a big one at that and very fat....He looked to be dormant or taking a nap...But I can still remember the feeling of trying real hard not splash too much as I made my way to the other shore....I think I actually splashed and thrashed like a maniac.... :lol: :lol: Never dived since and never will...quit while your ahead the say.Not sure what type of shark and it doesn't matter to me as all I know is that it was a lot bigger than me....

PT

If he was sitting on the bottom you are probably pretty safe. Most likely a seven giller. The nastys need to swim to keep water over their gills.
gothepies
Apprentice Angler

Postby gothepies » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:46 pm

Beevor wrote:I went on a muff dive once....

Any pics to prove your adventure Beevs?????

Might be worth a run in monthly pic comp. :lol: :lol: :lol:
gothepies
Apprentice Angler

Postby Mr. T » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:09 pm

used to do a fair bit of snorkelling around Tomahawk and Bellingham. At Bellingham one day, diving down towards a hole with an Hawaiian sling looking of a fish to be greeted by a shark swimming out. It is possible to swim backwards!! Not sure how big, what type etc, but it was one of the last times I pulled on the snorkel. Probably 30 years ago but still pretty vivid in the old mind!
Missed by ......that much!
Mr. T
Pro Angler

Next

Return to Diving